What is Micro-VPN? Internet Security & Privacy Via Micro-VPN
What Is Micro-VPN?
Micro-VPNs are smaller quantum of VPNs, at the level of an application or collection of applications. These are known as trusted applications; each of these trusted applications has a token that is authenticated before the tunnel is opened for the user utilizing a Micro VPN.
VPN And Security Concerns
In today's IT world, many workers often use their personal devices to get their work completed. This turns out to be a time saving process for employees and company. Even though these devices help them, there are critical security concerns that arise with using your own device.
An old-style VPN approach is the most commonly used remote connectivity among organizations, to check emails and documents by an employee. The VPN tunnel that is established is device wide, and once they are connected, any application on personal device can navigate this tunnel, and get access to corporate resources. This means that if the employee’s device is infected with malware or malignant applications, these can potentially gain access to the tunnel. The above said security downside can be avoided, through the use of micro-VPNs, which are specific to an application instead of a device.
The following are the certain advantages of using micro-VPN:
- Takes virtual private network client from the device to the application and authenticates user.
- Provides access to specific corporate content without having to do a full-scale VPN on the device.
- Acts as a security wrapper for the mobile device around an enterprise application by providing a token for successful VPN tunnel.
- Administers mobile control policies on the application that connects to the corporate network.
- The micro-VPN application and the corporate network can see one another; however, remaining of the device is not opened to/accessible by the client network. In addition, the user cannot access company resources from non-enterprise application.
Citrix XenMobile’ product, NetScaler Gateway, is based on the idea of micro-VPNs through logical VPN tunnels. NetScaler Gateway helps in creating different TCP sessions for different applications automatically.
Currently, micro-VPNs are one of the trustworthy solutions that can be deployed by the IT departments on employee’s devices to avoid exposure to unknown elements.
Whether you're looking for tech candidates with fundamental skills and expertise in developing or tech candidates with high-level cryptography skills, Speak With A Geek (SWAG) offers a robust platform to help you grow your team with qualified tech candidates and offers flexible and scalable payment plans. Hire fulltime, contract by the hour, or build your own custom development team. SWAG makes it easy. To learn more information about SWAG Development Services, please visit this page, or give us a call at 866-480-4335.
*Image courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons