Mobile Device Management in the Cloud
Recently, there has been a great deal of buzz around regarding the data breaches due to insecure mobile devices, such as tablets, smart phones, laptops, etc. There is a huge data loss in case of mobile thefts and it has become necessary to enable mobile management and security. It is disseminated that the Cloud provides possible options for mobile managements. It addresses a lot of security issues along with providing numerous other benefits. It is done through Mobile Device Management (MDM). Mobile device management (MDM) is a term for administering various mobile devices. It typically includes the distribution of data, configuration and applications over-the-air for such devices. The devices managed by the MDM include both company issues and BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) mobile devices.
How Does It Work?
It works like a typical client/server model. The MDM server (also referred to as a central server) contains all the security and group policy related information. This information travels back and forth to all the clients/mobile devices on a network. An agent is installed on the phone that communicates with the MDM server periodically. After its installation, the user provisions the phone through emails or text message service. The agent downloads everything needed from the MDM server and periodically checks if anything has changed like security policies or software updates. It also keeps track of the information like calls sent and received, software installed, settings, etc.
What Are The Benefits?
The primary objective of MDM is to optimize the use and security of a device using cloud and simultaneously reduce costs and downtime. The various benefits of using MDM include:
- Data and configuration for all the devices in the network are controlled and protected in the Cloud. It, thus, reduces both the supporting costs and business risks.
- It enables setting up of Virtual Private Network (VPN) or corporate email on a smart phone.
- It boosts security and compliance by protecting data through the implementation of data encryption.
- It also provides software delivery and a wide range of applications. There are applications to request time off, manage core finances, track various expenses, and much more.
- It gives an easy access to the web and remote corporate applications or desktops from anywhere.
- It provides consistent and rich experiences across all the devices by comprehensive settings management across platforms.
It may be difficult to manage devices that run on different operating systems like IOS and Android. Such operating systems may be ‘jail broken’ or ‘rooted’ if required. Also, upon modification such devices may stop responding to the MDM server and may also delete the agent. An effective MDM solution may help such devices to continue working all together in a corporate network.
Last Word: Since mobile IT has moved from being a privilege to a necessity, it has become vital to safeguard mobile devices using MDM technology. We wish you luck while you use MDM for your businesses to enhance the use of mobile IT.
Image source: Techgig