How to Secure Your Web Browser? Some Helpful Tips
Off-late I have been seeing many advertisements popping up on my laptop obstructing my work, what is scarier is that all these advertisements are very relevant to the information I use on a daily basis. Also, these advertisements multiply in number, and do not disappear at all. All this has hampered the performance of my laptop and have caused a great deal of inconvenience to me.
A little research on the web and brainstorming sessions with my friends revealed that this could possibly be a case of virus attack and may have more serious implications’ such as loss of personal, business related sensitive information along with financial fraud, as I make transactions on bank’s website using the same laptop.
As we browse the net there is a risk of dangerous and malicious code sneaking into our computers through an unsafe or malicious website. Browsers have to be properly configured to make sure, security of our information is guaranteed. Allowing certain features on the browser, most of the times, reduces the security cover and increases the chance of malicious software, web sites opening up splitting venomous virus into the computer.
Few Tips On Securing Browser To Protect Your Privacy
- Purchase and install trusted software from Reliable sources only: Always purchase and install software that is trusted and comes from reliable sources. The different types of software, available on the net, lure you with options such as free to download and many other options. If you are not sure about such offers or companies offering such promotions never install their software on your computer. There is a great risk of spyware, virus being installed along with such software.
- Update the software regularly: Companies always strive to improve the security measures and come up with additional codes and updates to provide for better security. Such updates are available online, and can also be manually installed. It is highly recommended to install such updates regularly for safe browsing.
- Enable Pop-up Blocker and Fraud protection features: The aim of Virus is to make money, either by showing unwanted advertisements on your screen or by phishing and using your personal and financial information. To fight this, we need to enable pop-up blocker which blocks malware and other forms of virus being installed on to your computer. Also, enabling fraud protection on your browser’s setting will prevent phishing sites opening up on your computer; as such websites may steal your personal information.
- Browse Privately: When using a shared computer at an internet kiosk, café, or library make sure you clear the browsing history, before the browser is closed. You can set this as a permanent option in the browser setting, as well. Private browsing tab is available with the new versions of all the browsers, to let you browse privately.
- Strong Encryption Support: Your browser should support strong encryption technology, for higher levels of security. Use browsers with SSL/TSL encryption support, such latest encryption establishes a secure and safe link for data to pass between your browser and the website. Should you sense a threat of Virus or any other malicious software infecting your computer, it is strongly advised to install anti –Virus software, etc to cleanse the system and get privacy cushion.
Picture Source: www.melbournewebsitedesign.net