How to Tip the Odds in Your Favor During a Data Breach
In the last few years catastrophic data breaches have become a norm for all business. It is very clear now that cyber crime has the upper hand. Criminals can easily break into any network and steal company assets.
Any motivated attacker can breach any network. However, the problem is how quickly your company can find the active breach in your network. Today the standard time to detect and isolate a data breach is six months.
The extreme amount of time it takes to find these breaches clearly indicates that network security has failed. Currently the industry uses a preventative mindset and tools to identify a data breach. Unfortunately, this approach will no longer work. Today businesses need to use a different approach to stop data breaches within their networks.
Even though your company invests in robust security software, you can’t isolate and prevent all the data breaches. Unfortunately, the attackers still have the upper hand.
Hackers have the advantage over all networks
- Hackers have unlimited opportunities to launch an attack on all networks.
- The hacker faces no penalties or cost when he makes repeated attacks on your network.
- Your company’s network security must identify and prevent an attack before it happens. If only one attack is not stopped the hacker gains access to your network.
- A dedicated attacker will find a way into your network. They will continue to attack your network using spear phishing, network vulnerabilities, drive-by installation and social engineering.
Data Breaches And How They Happen
- If an attacker has enough motivation he will breach your network. They will find a way to infect your network with malware.
- Data breach prevention tools no longer work to stop a cyber attack on your network.
- Sandboxing and searching for technical artifacts that are present in malicious software can no longer uncover or prevent an attack on your network.
- Data breaches aren’t detected by the network administrator for six months. More often than not, it is the FBI or credit agencies that alert the company about a security breach.
- Network security infrastructure is designed to stop the data breach. But if the attacker can bypass these infrastructures he is invisible inside the network.
- Company’s endpoint security can’t see the full life-cycle and behaviors of an intruder inside their network.
Network Security Prevention
- An effective security measure is to always assume your network has been compromised. Furthermore, invest in detective capability software that continuously monitors your network for the different behaviors and patterns of malicious code.
- After an attacker has gained access to your network he is at a disadvantage. They need to search the network to understand the topology. Therefore, the post breach activities can be spotted by the network admin using active breach detection software. This can give the company an advantage over the attacker.
- Endpoint security, sandboxing and other anti-malware solutions will help detect a data breach. However, the key to protecting your network is to monitor the operational activities a hacker must perform inside your network.
- Invest in an automated technology solution like breach detection. The software can monitor and detect all criminal activity and the latest movements inside your network.